From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Oct 1999 19:31:35 PDT
If I may, and I guess I may since I'm going to, I'd prefer to use
"hate-inducing" rather than ugly.  Let's really get negative.

Black & white covers with non-photogenic persons looking at me really
irritate me.  So cheap!  So ordinary!  I love Brendel's playing, but I do
not want to look at the man on a cd cover.  Besides, he doesn't do anything
on those covers.  He's not cooking food, taking a shower, or anything
productive.  I think the companies should start issuing a series of
classical music cd's titled "CDs for Real Men".  The covers could be
drawings of the plundering, back-stabbing, and other low-life ways of
the basic guy.

Another type of cover is even worse.  That's the "Religious Angels"
cover.  Sometimes there are three or more you can spot immediately.  How
predictable - you have a recording of sacred music, so you gotta have some
angels hanging around on the cover.  Why isn't the Devil on those covers as
often as the angels?  If there ever was a case of reverse discrimination,
this is it.  Again, a new series is needed, something like "Religious CDs
for Atheists".  The covers could show battles of atheists squaring off
against those angels.  It could be bigger than professional wrestling.

Don Satz