From:
"Steven Schwartz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 13:02:53 -0500
Bob Draper:

>But one question we should both consider here. How can we be sure
>that our views are truly objective? Just like a child is brought up
>to believe in a particular religion (or not), so we encounter the
>legend of the fifth at an early age. The experience is reinforced by
>repeated statements, of what a fine work it is, that we hear over the
>years.

Good point, but you sell yourself short.  If there were nothing to the
work, you would probably grow tired of listening to it, don't you think?

I heard the 5th for the first time when I was 8.  I know exactly when
and where I heard it (Severance Hall, Cleveland Orchestra conducted by
Louis Lane).  I had no idea of who Beethoven was (although I did know
Tchaikovsky, my favorite composer at the time).  I also didn't distinguish
between popular music and classical.  It was all music to me.  But I loved
that piece the moment I heard it.  I even started whistling a harmony to it
and was told by my mother to shut up.  The symphony made me bounce in my
seat.

I can also say the same for my nephews when they were younger.  Their
parents are more interested in jazz than classical, and Big Ol' Uncle Steve
brought some CDs with him on a visit.  I put on a bunch of stuff, beginning
with the Vivaldi Il Cimento and also Beethoven's Fifth, since I believe
rhythm is the primary grabber of kids.  They loved the 5th at first listen.
They went around the house for a couple of days erupting with
"duh-duh-duh-DUMMMMs".

Steve Schwartz