From:
Ed Zubrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Oct 1999 12:50:51 -0400
David Scarinci wrote:

>I could use some help with what people think of the following recordings:
>
>1.  Bronfman's "Pictures at an Exhibition"
>2.  John Elliot Gardiner's "complete Beethoven symphonies"
>3.  What composer is good for Stravinsky's "The Right of Spring"

I have the Gardiner set.  It got substantial publicity when it was released
as being a "revelatory new reading of Beethoven that restored the music to
the original intent of the composer." Being even more of a novice then than
I am now, and seeing the set on sale somewhere I sprung for it.  When I
return to it now (not that often) i wish I hadn't bothered.  It is ok, but
certainly not revelatory.  Tempos are brisk and the play is clean.  But I
suspect other sets, and certainly creating one's own set, would be
preferable.

As for the Rite of Spring.  I really enjoy the disc I have by Benjamin
Zander and the Boston Philharmonic Orchestra.  In this case, some of the
barnacles really do feel like they are scraped off, and familiar music
sounds fresh.  The disc has the added advantage of bonus tracks presenting
the piano roll version of the piece.

Ed