From:
Richard Churchill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2006 06:15:18 -0700
Thanks to Steve Schwartz for his review of the Alwyn 4th, et al on Naxos.
I'm enjoying the Naxos/Alwyn Symphonies 2 & 5. I would also highly
recommend another neglected British composer- Alan Rawsthorne.  David
Lloyd-Jones leads the Northern Chamber Orchestra on a disc including the
Concerto for String Orchestra, as well as the Bournemouth SO for his
Symphonies 1-3.  Both on Naxos, all very nicely done.  These led me to
an ASV recording of Rawsthorne's chamber music by the Fibonacci Sequence.
Uniformly excellent (to these ears at least).

It's always nice to make new discoveries & for anyone wanting to sample
some fine 20th century British composers, any of the above will not
disappoint.

Rick Churchill