From:
Ramon Khalona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Nov 2000 19:00:19 -0500
Satoshi Akima <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Boulez is a man with many enemies. That is why there is deep prejudice
>against his interpretations. Yet whoever approaches his performances
>(and dare I say it his music) with an open mind will find a musician of
>the utmost profundity, and heartfelt sincerity.  I say: ignore the usual
>stereotypes of him being cold and intellectual, because once you REALLY
>understand his way of approaching music you will see that nothing more
>could possibly be further than the truth.

I wish you could have been there when Boulez conducted the Chicago Symphony
in the Bruckner 5th at the end of October (I attended the last of the
concerts on Oct. 28).  There was a clarity to the performance, especially
the finale, that left nothing to be desired.  Boulez's balance of the mighty
CSO brass and the rest of the orchestra was masterly (most other conductors
at the helm let the brass obliterate the rest of the orchestra) and seldom
have I heard the glory of Bruckner's contrapuntal genius come through so
effectively.

Ramon Khalona
Carlsbad, California