From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2008 17:05:31 -0800
Peter Herwitz:

> What are your favorite Purcell pieces and recordings?  I am currently
> *stuck* on Purcell in a big way and listen to my favorite recordings
> over and over.  These include Dido and Aeneas with Anthony Lewis non HIP
> and Emanuelle Haim HIP, Birthday Song for Queen Mary(Come ye Sons of Art
> Away) with Parrott, The Fairy Queen with Christie, Ode for St. Cecilia's
> Day 1692 with McCreesh, Theater Music with The Parley of Instruments,
> Fantasias for Viol with Jordi Savall and so on.  I would be interested
> to hear of other pieces and recordings.

All wonderful works.  I wish I knew more Purcell.  I've been afraid to
get too deeply involved with him because he wrote so much and there's
so many other things I want to hear.  However, significant omissions are
the Music for the Funeral of Queen Mary (I recommend David Hill on Argo,
available exclusively from ArkivMusic) and The Indian Queen (available
on Naxos).  King Arthur is also wonderful, but I'm not all that high
on Christie's reading.  Still, it beats Deller's, dull to the point
of soporific.

Steve Schwartz