From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2005 23:36:56 -0400

>>Alastair Scott wrote:
>>
>>: there is no CTV (MTV with a classical focus) ...!
>
>Like it or lump it, the presentation of a lot of things has become more
>visually oriented in recent decades - for example, I remember the fuss
>when colour photographs first appeared in newspapers here about twenty
>years ago - and a medium which doesn't recognise that change is, by
>default, bound to appear old-fashioned and "slow".

Think of MTV and you think of videos.  So what classical event would
be video worthy?  Opera and dance come to mind immediately, and opera
is expensive, complex, an acquired taste.

Almost twenty years ago I attended a performance by the Alvin Ailey
Dancers.  Two pieces were particularly striking.  Whenever I hear Ives'
Unanswered Question I think of the single figure, dressed in a shroud,
dancing to it that night.  Vaughn Williams' The Lark Ascending was also
on the program, and while I have no memory of the dance, that music still
is my daughter's favorite classical piece.  I notice too that many dance
recitals these days involve music not originally meant to be danced to.

Music primarily is perceived via sound - no getting around that fact.
Dance can associate with it a visual stimulus which may get more listeners
involved.  Perhaps some enterprising ensemble can join forces with a
dance troop for at least part of a concert.  Worth a try?

Bernard Chasan