From:
Thomas Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jul 1999 21:25:45 -0400
Scott Morrison <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Can anyone tell me anything about the Loewenguth Quartet.  I'm not entirely
>sure about the spelling.  As far as I know they were a French string
>quartet active in the 1930s and 1940s.

The Lowenguth Quartet was founded in 1929 by Alfred Loewenguth.  It was
a French group that gave concerts in the U.S.  and throughout Europe,
with annual concerts in Vienna and Salzburg.  Their repertoire included
quartets by Debussy, Faure, Franck, Ravel, Roussel, Ibert, Honegger,
Schmidt, Milhaud, Ducasse, Bartok, Prokofiev, Stravinsky and others.
Alfred Lowenguth was first violin; Roger Roche, viola; Jacques Gotkovsky,
second violin; and Roger Lowenguth, cello.  They had some releases on the
Vox label.  I can find nothing by them in my Swhann Artist Issue or in my
other reference books, so someone else will have to fill you in on the
rest.

Thomas R. Jones