From:
Barrett Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 18:08:19 -0700
I suppose it is just a matter of personal taste.  Personally, I wouldn't
want to live in a world without Haydn or Vivaldi.  But I digress.

So far the only Ravel I have heard so far is his orchestral works, and
I have a feeling I would probably like his piano work a great deal.  I'll
have to look into it.  Since starting this topic however, I have warmed
up a bit to some of his more imaginative pieces.  In particular, I have
grown quite fond of Rhapsodie Espagnole, especially the lush, sweeping,
romantic motif in the prelude.  I'll definitely try to track down some
of your recommended pieces.  Oh, and while we're on the subject of Ravel
as an orchestrator, I'd like to ask what the group's general opinion is
of Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition." Was it better as a fascinating
display for solo piano, or as a full orchestral suite?  I love them both,
but find the solo piano interpretation more emotionally engaging.  Thanks
for all of your recommendations!

Six months into an amazing musical journey,

            ---Barrett