From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 1999 07:22:19 PDT
Bill Hong wrote of the JC Bach recordings (CPO) directed by Halstead:

>Is this Anthony Halstead?  And isn't he better known as one of the best
>players of the natural horn (thinking of his Mozart concerto
>album with the Hanovers)....?

I do believe that Anthony Halstead is the man.  I suppose he was best known
for his horn playing, but that's likely changing as he continues to record
the works of JC Bach.

I'm just curious as to list member preferences concerning JC and CPE Bach.
>From a superficial view, I tend to think of JC as "smooth" and CPE as
"choppy." Although I consider CPE's music more distinctive, I can't say
I enjoy it more than JC's music.  With JC there's a calming and positive
feeling I get listening to his music.  But, I have a vivid memory of first
listening to CPE's Prussian Sonatas while recovering at home from a medical
operation; it really picked up my spirits at the time, and these types of
memories never fade.  I think it's a "draw."

Don Satz