From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jul 1999 17:15:41 PDT
Roger Hecht wrote:

>I'm very surprised at all the enthusiasm for Bohm, some of it from
>people I've associated with HIP performances.

I might be one of those people Roger is referring to.  I can't really
explain why I favor Bohm over HIP conductors except that Bohm delivers
the weight I prefer in the work.  My HIP rigidity only applies to Baroque
music, and even then, not to solo instrumental works.

>It's an old fashioned, large scale, massive, thick performance.

That it is, and that's the way I like it.  I also prefer Bohm in Mozart's
clarinet concerto and the Flute and Harp concerto.  They can be found on a
DG disc.  Bohm was simply an outstanding Mozart conductor.

Don Satz