From:
Dave Harman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Dec 2001 05:53:57 -0800
Donald Satz wrote:

>The other high schools in Louisville gave the students nothing in the way
>of music except for a band which was only considered important because of
>its connection to athletic events.

My son was a member of his high school band for the 4 years he was there.
I served as Band Booster president for 3 of his 4 years.  As Don Satz as
observed, the primary function of the band was it's connection to atheletic
events.  I might also add we participated in band competitions.  Each
semester I paid $175.00 Band Fee and another $60.00 transportation fee
for his participation in band activities.  There was no place in the school
budget per se for the band.  The same was true of the Choral groups.  I
knew my son's friends and teachers and as president, had more insight into
the financial makeup of the school he attended.

Somewhere in his junior year, my son developed an interest in opera.  He
made me swear a blood oath I would never tell any of his friends of this
and I never did.

My son is now in the Air Force and is stationed in Utah.  Last summer I
went to visit him and we went downtown to Boarders.  He had his list of
CD's to buy and wanted my imput on his purchases.  On the way back to the
base, we played some of the Cd's shouting along with the singers on our
favorite arias.

I know my son was never exposed to opera in high school, but he did hear it
at home.  This suggests to me that exposure to CM music at home is at least
- if not more - important as an influence as exposure to CM in school.

Dave Harman
El Paso, TX