From:
Alex Renwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 2000 08:50:02 -0400
Jukka Virtanen comments on the sound qualities of DG CD's.  I wonder
too, having recently aquired Haydn's 12 London Symphonies on DG [London
Philharmonic Orchestra under Eugen Jochum].  I find the quality spotty.
For example, No. 102, may favorite, is fine.  But 103, The Drumroll, is
a real disappointment, especially the third movement.

I first heard #103 live with the National Arts Center under Franz Paul
Decker.  When he reached the third movement, the strings broke into great
swoops of sound that made your hair stand on end..

The DG version is the same music but it sounds like a dirge.  I will be
interested in reading posts which other list members may have on this
topic.

Regards,

Alex Renwick,
Ottawa, Canada