From:
Achim Breiling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 10:57:50 +0100
I do not know any work by Bax! Since some time I am conviced that it
might be a good idea to change this! Thus I thought the symphonies might
be a good start.  Christopher Webber recently recommended the Chandos
complete recordings by Bryden Thomson, as this box is now available at
bargain price. Though in his review he states that these are rather bad
LP-CD transfers. Some other listmemberes raved about some of the Naxos
recordings. But this cycle is not complete and there were also some
negative opinions on some of these discs (specially sym. 1, IIRC). Finally,
of course, I could pick up single recommended recordings for each symphony.
Now what to do? Pick up the Chandos-box? Start to collect the Naxos CDs and
pick up the forthcomming missing syms.? Or, in case you would not recommend
neither of these possibilities, what are the *best* recordings around for
each symphony? And finally what other works by Bax should one have, besides
the syms.? Thanks!

Achim Breiling