From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 23:24:59 +0000
Chris Bonds writes:

>As the wag says, there are 2 kinds of people: those who say there are 2
>kinds of people and those that don't...  But I have a new theory (ok, so
>it's not new): There are 2 kinds of people--those who value intensity in
>opera, and those who primarily value a certain standard of singing and
>vocal technique.  I also suggest that who these people are can be
>determined by whether or not they like Maria Callas.

This sounds like a corollory to my theory about two kinds of listener
posted under the thread musical tastes.

Does the wag remark refer to my previous theory?

In fact I would go further and say that your theory is in fact a subset of
mine.  But before I can be sure please explain what you mean by intensity.
Do you mean intensity in the performance or do you mean opera seria as
opposed to opera buffa or a combination of both.

Bob Draper