From:
David Wolf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 May 2002 18:12:55 -0700
I just acquired a wonderful disk by Morton Subotnick called "And The
Butterflies Begin to Sing." The liner notes refer to an entire group of
modernist composers using tape, etc.  Among them is one Iannis Xenakis.
I have ten of his pieces from the '60s (or earlier) scattered around on
tape, (Akrata, Eonta, Medea, Metastasis, Polytope, Pithoprakta and Syrmos
among them) but am thinking about getting a few of his CDs.  Any fans of
Iannis out there? Any recommendations? Regarding Subotnick, my familiarity
with his music dates back to his amazing Buchla-synthesizer scores,
"Touch," "Wild Bulls," and "Silver Apples of the Moon." This disk has
advanced, or at least changed greatly, from that era, using a combination
of string quartet, bass, MIDI keyboards and MIDI mallets, plus computer on
the title piece, and a different combination including voice on the second
piece on that disk, called "All My Hummingbirds Have Alibis." Very engaging
music throughout, and highly recommended!

Dave Wolf