From:
Laura Trippi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 18:35:41 -0400
In conjunction with the U. S. Premiere of Bernd Alois Zimmermann's
monumental "Requiem for a Young Poet" (1967-69) on April 20th at
Carnegie Hall, we've launched an exciting new area on our web site:

   Requiem for a Young Poet
   http://www.carnegiehall.org/requiem
   produced in collaboration with Vivian Selbo

To introduce this complex work, with its use of multi-media and layering
of texts, we've created this special area on our site with bios, program
notes, a synopsis, and the complete libretto.  It also features the
"requiem animations" -- a unique web realization of the Requiem.

Borrowing fragments of text and sound clips from the original, the requiem
animations adapt Zimmermann's work for the web, playfully echoing its
concern with language, layering, and juxtaposition.  Zimmermann called
his Requiem a "lingual," with reference to Wittgenstein, placing not only
singing and speaking on the same plane, but also sound, music, and the
images and ideas evoked by them.

Steeped in the panoramic literary, political, and historical influences of
the 1960s, Zimmermann's Requiem features sources as varied as recordings
of Alexander Dubcek and Joseph Stalin, texts by Mao and Mayakovsky, and
musical quotations -- both live and on tape -- from Beethoven to the
Beatles.

The April 20th performance, with the Southwest Radio Symphony Orchestra
Freiburg led by conductor Michael Gielen, calls for three choirs, two vocal
soloists, two speakers, a jazz combo, an orchestra without violins, and
loudspeakers distributed around the auditorium.  Zimmermann's aim was to
place the listener in the center of a thought-provoking setting that would
highlight the world in all its complexity.

To read more about the performance and purchase specially discounted
tickets online, visit the Carnegie Hall web site:

   http://www.carnegiehall.org/requiem

Laura Trippi  | |  Web/New Media Manager  | | Carnegie Hall
[log in to unmask] | | 212.903.9760 | |  www.carnegiehall.org