From:
Gerhard Griesel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 2009 19:08:28 -0700
Steve Schwartz writes:

> Kurt Atterberg, one of the most profoundly gifted composers of his
> generation, made the symphony central to his output, finally winding
> up with nine.....  For years I knew only his Suite #3 for strings - a
> lovely work, which for some reason failed to get me to look for more.
> Definitely my loss, for now CPO has launched an Atterberg

Thank you, Steve, for this.  It will send me looking for more Atterberg
works.  I recently bought his Rhapsody for piano and orchestra, Piano
Concerto Op.  37 and Ballade and Passacaglia.  The pianist is Love
Derwinger with the Hannover Radio Philharmonic under Ari Rasilainen (cpo
999732-2) I am listening to it as I type this.  My inital response would
be to say that although it does not make for unforgettable listening,
here is music good enough not to be neglected.  For want of proper
vocabulary and musical knowledge, I would describe it as romantic style,
but with a strange moderness around it, melodious and strong enough to
attract one's attention even when listening casually.  For lovers of
romantic piano concertos this is a must to their collection.

Gerhard
http://skoongrappies.com