From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 May 2000 15:55:57 +0000
Donald Satz completes his review of Romberg's quartets thus:

>Don's Conclusion - The MDG catalog number is 307 0963-2, and you're better
>off if you don't remember it.

I have no knowledge of these quartets but I would not like readers to come
away with the conclusion that Romberg is a total washout.

He wrote an oratorio called "The Song Of The Bell" which resides in my
collection (Chorus Musicus Koln/Spering/Opus111 30-67).  There is some fine
music here.  Sometimes it is Haydn-like but also it contains much original
material.  This work consists only of, fairly short, back to back arias.
It is not quite in the same class as the late Haydn Oratorios but an
enjoyable listen nethertheless.

The disc I mention is a fine performance with good sound quality.

Bob Draper