From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 11:28:32 +0000
Walter Meyer wrote:

>..., I too give Dittersdorf mixed reviews, but a different mixture.  I
>think his quartets are delightful.  I can't say I've heard much else of
>his, but what I have heard, including some orchestral works that never left
>enough of an impression on me for me to identify now, I found dull and
>unimaginative, even though, remembering the quartets, I was initially
>prepared to like them.

I haven't heard any of his quartets.  I'll have to add them to my list.

Interesting "I was initially prepared to like them." I find this phenomenon
a lot with thes lesser known composers

I gave Boctterini.  high marks at first now I've downgraded that somewhat
except for his guitar quintets.  Likewise with Micheal Haydn.  At first
I thought his symphonies were OK now I'm not so sure apart from a few
exceptions like the sym in D (However there are some great works amongst
his other output).

It must be that we want to like works.  And, we want to be fair and believe
that many composers produce great works rather than a select few.  Then the
truth dawns.

However I still believe in spite of this that there are more great works
out there than these composers are given credit for.

Bob Draper