From:
Pablo Massa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2007 12:33:10 -0300
Iskender Savasir writes:

>What I have in mind is esp.  the prejudice (excuse the term) against
>"cross over".  Would people care to expound on what is wrong with
>"cross over" or "fusion"?

There's the opposite prejudice, that views "cross over" or "fusion"
as a good thing in itself.  To me, this is what's "wrong" with it.
Some people seems to believe that cross over --being a way to bring fresh
air into classical music-- is necessary, so it's welcome notwithstanding
some particular results.  They seem more worried about the smell of
straight contemporary classical (which deserves at least some discussion)
than about the smell of bad works made out entirely of good intentions.
Even when both smells are equally ungrateful, they will choose the second
one, making "attitude" the decisive point.  Personally, I think that
cross over is nothing but a potential: something that may or may not
give birth to a nice work.  I try to bound judgements only at the results,
which gives me a "post" rather than a "pre"- judice.

Regards

Pablo Massa