From:
James Tobin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2000 11:36:35 -0500
Don Satz:

>I personally prefer a relatively narrow definition of classical music
>which does not include...movie soundtracks

Even though much of it has been composed by composers you would probably
recognize as classical composers?

>It's my way of breaking down the categories, and I realize that every
>other person has his/her own way of creating the categories....  My point
>is that there isn't and won't be any definitive method to categorize
>different types of music.

Sure, but there are still paradigm cases, which we would all accept, and
contested cases, which can be interesting to discuss.

>Currently, there's a move afoot by certain segments of the professional
>music business world to enlarge what is called classical music.

This is one reason why discussion might matter to people.

>The same applies to definitions of music....So, I stick to my basic
>premise that the individual determines what is music, classical music,
>and any other type of music.  The individual can not be proved wrong,
>and there's no compelling reason for any persons to alter their views.

Wanting communication to be reasonably clear could be such a compelling
motivation.

Jim Tobin