From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jun 1999 16:01:30 -0500
Martin Anderson writes:

>Here's one that should be fun.  A conductor friend of mine asked about
>British orchestral variations for a possible CD.  I have bounced the idea
>of the British Music list and the answers are still coming in; I thought
>you lot would be a fruitful lot for some collective brainpicking.  ...

Britten: Variations on a Theme of Frank Bridge;
         Variations on a Theme of Purcell
Vaughan Williams: 5 Variants on Dives and Lazarus
Elgar: Enigma Variations
Holst: Suite No. 1 for Military Band (essentially variations)
Bernard Stevens: Variations for Orchestra
Parry: Symphonic Variations
Bax: Symphonic Variations
Bliss: Metamorphic Variations for Orchestra
Stanford: Concert Variations
Delius: Brigg Fair
Walton: Variations on a Theme by Hindemith
Tovey: Variations on a Theme by Gluck for flute and st qt
Bantock: Variations on "HFB" - "Helena Variations"
Harty: Variations on a Dublin Air
Haydn Wood: Variations on a Once-Popular Song
Farrar: Variations on an Old British Sea Song

Many of these have been recorded, of course, many times.

Steve Schwartz