From:
Reid McLean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 11:34:51 -0600
Great question.  Everybody burns out at some point in their playing life.
The key is to change your routine(s), at least temporarily.  Here are some
strategies that I've heard of - 1, 2 and 7 have worked for people I know.

1.  Take a 3-4 week vacation from playing (anything!)

2.  If your playing is 90% solo; find compatible ensembles or a partner to
play with - or if your playing is in an ensemble, work on solo performance.

3.  Play great folk and pop songs STRAIGHT for a while - concentrate on
the melody, phrasing and basic harmony - no improvised solos, no altered
chords, no extra ornamentation, no rhythmic rearranging etc.  (You might
check out the last Keith Jarrett recording.)

4.  Start learning a new instrument or (if you don't compose already) start
composing.

5.  If you play at home all the time, get out in front of some audiences;
if most of your playing is for audiences - spend more time at home playing
for yourself.

6.  Arrange some arias for piano - again, play them pretty straight.

7.  Talk with a good therapist about music and things in general.

Reid McLean / [log in to unmask]