From:
Javier Artiles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2000 22:59:42 +0200
Hi everybody in the list. That's my first message!

Last night (Tuesday 22) I assisted to a concert in the Auditorio Nacional
in Madrid (I study in the Universidad Complutense de Madrid).  It was the
Philharmonia Orchestra and Lorin Maazel as director, the program included
the Mahler's symphony no.  5.

It was the first time that I enjoyed Mahler's music in a live concert
(going to some concerts is a very expensive experience for a student
here in Madrid).  I was very impressed by the great energy that the
work generated, especially in the first and second movements (I have the
Barbirolli's performance with the same orchestra in 1970 and it's great but
it's just a CD and my hi-fi is not the best).  The sound of the orchestra
in the concert was so perfect...

My question to the list is about Lorin Maazel, I don't know much about
his work and I would like to be introduced in his best recordings.  He
amazed me with his domain over the orchestra.  I can't tell in English the
sensations that I experimented in that concert.  I just can say that it was
one of the bests that I had listened in the whole concert season (it's okay
to say "concert season" for the period of the year that an orchestra gives
concerts?).

So, that's all. Please, give me some recommendations about the Lorin Maazel
recordings and, why not, about the Mahler's fifth symphony recordings.

P.D.:  sorry for my english, in fact my second idiom is the french.

Javier Artiles (Madrid)