From:
Pablo Massa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 20:04:07 -0300
Charles Dalmas wrote:

>(I don't think there is a single repeat in the Messiah, or in Judas
>Maccabeus)

Check this:

Messiah, N.23, air "He was despised": a long "da capo" of the first
section (bars 1-49), after "from shame and spitting".  Besides, the first
section of the Ouverture consist of the repeat of a single 12 bar sentence,
finished in the dominant chord.  There's also a repeat at "Pastoral
Symphony" (all the first section in C major, after B).

He also wrote:

>In studying Bach's music, one finds very few repeats.  The Preludes and
>Fugues have none.  The major choral works have none

Charles, please!.  Almost all Bach's music derived from dance forms
(menuett, gigue, etc) has repeats, repeats, and more repeats.  Then,
you will find a lot of it at the Partitas, the Suites, even in some of
Brandenburg Concertos (1st., in D major).  All the major choral works
have a lot of it too.  Airs have often a ternary scheme (ABA) which makes
repeats ("da capo") absolutely necessary.  See "Blute nur"("St. Matthew's
Passion"), "Laudamus te" ("Mass in B minor") or "Erbarme dich" (St.
Matthew's Passion).  Choruses have often repeats: "Wir setzen uns"(last
number of "St. Matthew's Passion").

Suddenly, I have a doubt:?Are we talking about the same subject?.

Let me know if I'm wrong.

Pablo Massa