From:
Gerhard Griesel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 2008 15:11:44 -0800
Massenet: Piano Concerto; Hahn: Piano Concerto; Label: Hyperion 'The
Romantic Piano concerto' Vol.  15.  CDA6689.  Stephen Coombs (piano)
with BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra

I can highly recommend this CD. Although the two concertos, especially
the Hahn concerto, are not memorable, I can guarantee that you will not
tire of this CD in your collection.  As with all recordings in this
Hyperion collection of 'The Romantic Piano Concerto' the sound quality
is of the very highest and the performance is faultless.  As with the
other recordings in the series, the volume level of the piano compared
to the orchestra is JUST right.

The third movement of the Massenet concerto (Airs Slovaques), although
only seven minutes long, is one of the most beautiful movements of piano
concerto music I have ever heard.  When I play this CD, I always start
with that movement so that I can listen to it twice!

Although this is purely a matter of taste, I would have liked the
volume level of the tympani to be higher, but that does not deter
from a technically brilliant recording.

Gerhard Griesel
http://skoongrappies.com