From:
Alan Moss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 22:15:32 -0000
Scott Morrison wrote:

>The performances this week of Elgar's 'Dream of Gerontius', with Sir Colin
>Davis conducting the New York Philharmonic . . .  will be the FIRST EVER
>performance by the NY Phil of Elgar's choral masterpiece!

I happened to mention this to a friend who knows about such things, and
he assured me that the NY Phil performed this work in 1959.  Sure enough,
www.nyphilharmonic.org states:  "It was first performed - and most recently
performed - by the New York Philharmonic on January 22, 1959 with Sir James
[sic] Barbirolli conducting, and Maureen Forrester, Richard Lewis, and
Morley Meredith as featured soloists."

So the NY Phil will know this work pretty well, then.

Alan Moss