From:
"Yoel L. Arbeitman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 2005 21:43:45 -0500
Scott wrote:

>This set is a bit pricey.  But this is also the only way to get these
>performances as they'd never been released before.  They are good enough
>to join the pantheon of great recordings of Beethoven's opera.  I for
>one am not going to part with this set easily.  I've been wallowing in
>it for the past few days and don't seem to be able to move on to anything
>else.
>
>The Boehm/ Ralf operas (Fidelio, Otello, and Carmen) have been available on
>Preiser for over ten years. I think I got all or some of them over 10 years
>ago. There is simply no other Fidelio I really need. This is magnificent.

The Otello (of course in German) is one of the greatest Otellos on record
and the Carmen (in German) is a fine work indeed.  Over the years some
of these have also appeared on Gramofono 2000 and Myto.  I have the
Otello on both Preiser and Myto (the Myto includes excerpts of another
performance with Max Lorenz).  Furthermore anyone not wanting to spend
money will find all three operas on two of Mike Richter's CD-ROMs.

   http://www.mrichter.com/ae/ae.htm

Best wishes,
Yoel