From:
Albie Cabrera <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Nov 2001 17:35:04 -0800
Len Fehskens <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>>tiresome from an audience perspective.
>
>You speak for all audiences? I can put you in touch
>with several concert
>companions who enjoy such expressions of enthusiasm.

 From the video "Art of Conducting"...  Karajan's...  and Stokowski's
(although I found his gestures much more clearly understandable)...
mystical "spell-weaver" style always got more of *my* attention than ever
did the "bouncer" types...  and I thought it was pretty DARN COOL!!  Magic
*was* being conjured on stage, in the form of some really special music.

Furtwangler's style was also fascinating (although I noted that his
normally amorphous movements solidified when it counted).  Still, not as
"pretty" as Karajan's or Stokowski's.

But if there's somebody who played under them on this list (particularly
under Karajan), can you please explain what the movements meant?? Could you
really look up at them at any time and follow them beat-for-beat? I could
see myself looking up at them from the orchestra...  and getting hopelessly
lost!  (Although that happened frequently with me regardless of the
conductor's technique!;-)

Thanks in advance...
Albie