From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 21:37:43 GMT
Steve Schwartz provided us the list of works to be performed this season
by the Louisiana Philharmonic.  It doesn't look adventurous at all.  I
could only count 3 of the 37 works as being in the obscure category; that's
a loser.  Also, over 20 of them fall into the romantic-era.  Totally
missing are any works from the Baroque period or earlier, and there are no
modernist works at all.  It's mostly stacked with the very familiar from a
short time span.

Is this what the audiences in Louisiana want? I don't know the answer
to that one, but I consider it reasonable to assume that people who attend
all or most of the concerts might be getting bored with this type of
programming.  It's the same old stuff that was programmed when I was a
youngster.  Why aren't they playing any Gernsheim symphonies? What can
Steve do to change things around?

Don Satz