From:
"Steven Schwartz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 10:10:19 -0500
Having just sniffed at the idea of favorite movements, on further thought,
I admit I have them.

Mahler's 3rd, 1st movement:  from the opening horn call on either the theme
of the Brahms 1st finale or "Adestes Fideles," I'm hooked on this rather
skewed vision of music, like a plastic toy mistakenly left in an oven.  The
"Bim bam" movement of children's voices is an unhackneyed vision of heaven.

Mahler's 8th, 1st movement.  Absolutely overwhelming.  I have to rest
before I can think of tackling the much more difficult 2nd movement.  Thank
God for recordings.

Mozart's 39th, finale:  If there's such a thing as a perfect piece of
music, this is it.  The loopy rondo theme that trips over its own tail
never fails to delight.

Beethoven's 5th, 1st movement:  Yeah, it's played a lot, but amazingly, it
hasn't yet been played to death.

Beethoven's 3rd, scherzo:  My least favorite of the Beethoven symphonies,
with my second-favorite scherzo of all.

Beethoven's 9th, scherzo:  My favorite Beethoven scherzo.  Those
asymmetrical booms from the timpany get me every time, and the trio is
sublime.

Verdi's Requiem, Dies irae:  Speaking of drums, wham-bok, y'all.

Berlioz's Requiem, Lachrymosa:  Not Mozart's slightly sentimental decorous
grief, but an all-out wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Bloch, Piano Quintet No.  1, 1st movement:  one of the most powerful
chamber works I know.

Faure, Piano Quartet No. 1, scherzo: A rarity, really happy music without
being sappy.

Steve Schwartz