From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2001 10:44:43 -0600
Maragaret Mikulska, Mimi Ezust, and many others reply to me:

>Steve Schwartz wrote:
>
>>Also, I can't think of a string trio by anybody that's well known, even
>>among classical aficionados.  Piano trios, yes.  String trios, no.
>
>That obscure W. A. Mozart...

Well, *I* thought it was an obscure work - certainly more so than the
g-minor string quintet - but I'm glad to know it's popular, because it's
also wonderful (and I say this not as Mozart's biggest fan).  Also, people
named a bunch of string trios, including Schoenberg's.  I'm also glad to
know this is well-known.  Let me add Rozsa's string trio, at least as a
beautiful work, and the two Hindemiths.

Steve Schwartz