From:
Mimi Ezust <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 2004 16:31:07 -0500
Nick Perovich wrote:

>There was clearly a period, and it was only half a century ago, when
>magazines for the general reader assumed that one of the areas said
>reader wanted to be kept abreast of was classical music.  It is hard for
>me to believe that the drastically diminished coverage classical music
>receives today in the same magazines does not result from a change in
>the interests and level of knowledge of the average educated reader.
>Maybe things were always the same as today, but, if so, they were making
>some very peculiar editorial decisions half a century ago.

I blame it on the absence of music instruction in the public school.
When school-children do not learn how to read music, play musical
instruments, play in ensembles, they remain ignorant of the beauties
and pleasures of classical music.

Unfortunately, in the USA music is not the only subject falling by the
wayside.  If we continue along this discouraging road, soon there will
be no science articles, no technical columns, and nothing left in print
or on television that makes our children want to do anything that requires
thought.

Mimi Ezust