From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 2004 12:27:50 -0800
One of the more serendipitous things associated with SACD re-issues
has been my personal discovery of Charles Munch.  I've never heard a
conductor so successfully unite those frustratingly paradoxical elements
of polyphonic clarity vs.  lushness, and forward momentum vs.  localized
indulgence.  His Saint Saens Organ Symphony, his Ravel "Daphnis" and his
Beethoven Violin Concerto, (has anyone made Beethoven sound more human?)
with Heifitz have been immensely enjoyable.  (Thanks to Karl Miller for
turning me on to even more of this conductor's remarkable collaboration
with the Boston Symphony.

The next 10 RCA Living Presence SACD re-issues will be out in January.
More Munch will include his Berlioz Requiem, the Brahms 1st Piano Concerto
with Rubenstein, and the Sibelius/Prokofiev Violin Concerti with Heifitz
once again.  Can't wait.  Earl Wild fans will be pleased to know that
his Gershwin Rhapsody/Piano Concerto with Fiedler/Boston Pops will also
be available on SACD in Jan.

BTW, has anyone heard Akiko Suwanai's Sibelius/Walton Violin Concerto
with Oramo/CBSO?  I can't find any professional reviews on this Philips
SACD release.

John Smyth