From:
James Zehm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 17:05:58 +0200
Miguel Muelle <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I recently found Kubelik's live recording of Ma Vlast, played during the
>first Prague Spring festival (the CD still says Made in Czechoslovakia).
>I don't think it's possible to hear a better interpretation of this great
>tone poem. ...

Dear mister Muelle, I think you does so right in priosing this conductor
Kubelik.  I think much of what he has done is excellent.  "Ma Vlast" is
very securefully taken (and especially "Die Moldau" is very powerful), and
the lighter works you mention are charming indeed.  I cannot think of any
recording by him right now that I didn't like.  His Mahler is great too!
You cant go wrong with his Mahler.

>While in Prague I also purchased Neumann's Ma Vlast (and a few other
>CDs I may write about as I listen to them), and while it is elegant and
>beautiful, it too pales by comparison.

Thoiough this one is also very good.  But the best I have heard is
conducted by Walter Langer.

>Kubelik nails it from the opening harp of Vyserhad --incredibly
>powerful, yes a powerful harp!-- to the final note of Blanik.  Wow!

Great! Tell us more about good Kubelik!

James Zehm <[log in to unmask]>