From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Aug 2005 13:25:55 +1000
Reported by ABC news (Australia):

    Lost Vivaldi work strikes a chord with listeners

    A lost piece of work by the Venetian composer Antonio Vivaldi
    has been performed for the first time in modern history in
    Melbourne.  The discovery is regarded as the most important
    Vivaldi find for 75 years.

    Accompanied by the University of Melbourne's baroque ensemble,
    counter-tenor Christopher Field gave the first modern performance
    of /Dixit Dominus/.

    Melbourne researcher Janice Stockigt made the discovery on a
    research trip to the Germany city of Dresden.

    The piece, originally attributed to composer Baldassarre Galuppi,
    was quickly verified as Vivaldi's work by music expert Professor
    Michael Talbot.

    Dr Stockigt was present for its first performance.

    "It's magic to hear this and it will be even greater when I hear
    the whole work, I am just longing to hear the choral sections,"
    she said.  The work is one of three unearthed pieces now being
    attributed to Vivaldi.

Richard Pennycuick