From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 10:13:34 -0500

>> ...art music is not one of ...[USAmerica's] strengths or priorities

Linda Phillips proffered a list of counterinstances, remarking that...

>When I look at a list of English composers, I just don't see this kind of
>genius and diversity...
>
>At the risk of sounding like a real philistine, I must admit that much of
>the English music mentioned by the other contributors sounds rather much
>alike.  I have tried (and spent a fortune) to give Simpson, Brian, etc.,
>their due, but I just fail to find anything in their offerings that justify
>an honored status equal to that of the above list of American composers,
>all of which have their own unique voice.

As for Simpson, I'd put his 9th symphony on your short list.  Or, if
chamber music appeals more, I'd get the CD with his piano trio and violin
sonata.  If, on the 3rd hand, concertante works press your buttons, try the
Carlton Classics/BBC CD with his Piano Concerto; it comes with two PCs by
Alan Rawsthorne -- another composer worth exploring.

As for Rubbra, his symphony #4 is on a disk with his PC, as well as a
Soliloquy for Cello and Orchestra (Carleton/BBC Radio, again).  And that,
again, is just for an initial taste.

Others will have their own predilections, but afaic you've overlooked
one of the century's and CM's finest composers, who happens to be a Brit:
William Walton.  I'd recommend ...well, just about anything.  I'm not sure
why you mention Marco Polo, but there's a slew of good new releases of his
music on Naxos.  Try the two Naxi with his symphonies (coupled with his
superb Vla Concerto and the Partita for orchestra).  Or maybe start with
the Naxos of his Violin and Cello Concertos; the latter's especially
well-played, imho.

If, after a few good listens, you still think that WW "sounds rather much
alike" some others, _do_ divulge their names: I'll rush to make their
acquaintance.

More than likely, you won't.

Bert Bailey