From:
George Marshall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2005 16:33:50 +0000
Karl Miller wrote:

> I wonder, would there be a market for a classical review journal printed
> entirely in black and white and not on glossy paper?

Count me in.  As a life-long wearer of spectacles, I curse all glossy
magazines; and I read the Gramophone with difficulty and under protest.
I need a good light to read under and, of course, the more light there
is the more the glossy paper reflects and the harder it is to see the
text.  For reasons best known to itself the Gramophone has taken to print
whole boxes of text on a muddy brown background - these sections I have
to leave unread.  The only journals I read with ease are NY Review of
Books and The Tablet, both printed on non-glossy paper and without any
pictures lurking behind the text.  Text black on white.  I wish they
both carried CD reviews but I guess they would be straying off thread
if they did.  Am I a market?  Well, I can't be the only spectacle wearer
who wants to read about music.

George Marshall
Cheshire
England