From:
Dave Lampson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2000 13:21:50 -0700
John White wrote:

>Dave, many thanks for your very informative survey of British 19th
>century symphonists.  However, you seem to have overlooked one great
>musical educationist who wrote at least 4 symphonies.  Namely, Ebenezer
>Prout (1835-1908), also a prolific writer of textbooks on music theory,
>which I frequently refer to.

The English musicians from the 19th century I did not mention in my post
are legion.  And there are even many who were essentially non-composers
who nevertheless played a major part in the re-emergence of the English
national school.  Names such as William Chappell (1809-1888) and Edward
Dannreuther (1844-1906) spring to mind, but there are many more.  I
couldn't find any reference to Prout in this context in the sources I
have on hand.  In fact, though he seems to have written several important
textbooks, his stylistic interests appear to be far more backward-looking
than the composers I've mentioned in this discussion.  FWIW, Watkins Shaw
in the New Grove has this to say:

   His reputation rests on his treatises.  Those on harmony, counterpoint,
   and double counterpoint, though remarkably thorough and independent,
   are based on an approach now outmoded.  But his works on fugue and
   form (both translated into Russian), and, especially, on the orchestra
   (translated into German), results of intense study of a wide range
   of music, retain a great deal of value.

It should also be noted that all of his treatises were published in the
last 25 years of the 19th century, and those of continuing interest were
all published in the 1890s, and therefore none of the composers I mentioned
would have been exposed to Prout's writings during the time they were
students.

I should also clarify that my post was not meant to be an exhaustive
survey of important persons of that time and place, nor even a survey
of important symphony composers, but rather an overview of 19th-century
British composers whose symphonies I have had a chance to hear.  Though
the limited descriptions of Prout's works I've been able to locate are
not particularly enthusiastic, I would certainly be interested in hearing
his music for myself.  I also want to thank John for bringing this name
to my attention.

Dave
http://www.classical.net/