From:
Philip Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 03:11:59 +0100
Marcelo Ramos Araujo wrote:

>Have anyone ever heard a recording of Schumann's 'Dichterliebe' rendered by
>a countertenor?
>
>Yesterday I bought one, sung by countertenor Paul Esswood, from the
>infamous label 'Hungaroton'...Could Lieder be transposed for another
>voice or should it be forbiden?

Lieder can be transposed for another voice AFAIC but I *hate* Esswood's
"Dichterliebe".  I have it and for curiosity's sake I'll keep it (and in
earlier music like Bach I think Esswood is doing very well).  Still, I am
not familiar with any other recording of Romantic Lieder by a countertenor
and would be most interested to be informed whether there are any
available.

Philip