From:
Stirling Newberry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 1999 15:34:00 -0400
Mike R writes:

>Yes, what about Kuhnau's "Scenes from the Bible"?

Or Spohr's symphony on the history of music...  The list was not meant to
be exhaustive.

>Are you referring to the Konzertstuck.  The program was not written by
>the composer AFAIK, but did Weber really supressed it? Do you mean that
>it wasn't included in print?

It turned up in one of his letters much later on.

>I don;'t think they overthrowed anything, instead they wanted everything
>to be allowed.  Liszt also used the sonata form rather frequently.

*insert long discussion of the importance of genre expectations in the
1830-1900 period here.*

>I don't know if Brahms was involved in the sniping against Wagner or not,
>but he was heavily involved in the Liszt case.

He wasn't involved in sniping against Wagner personally, and from time to
time had complimentary things to say about Wagner's music.  But he could
not abide Liszt or Bruckner and was not shy about sharing his thoughts.

>Liszt pushed the works of other contemporary composers, but he was pretty
>alone in that aspect.

Mendelssohn helped Schumann, Gades and Hiller.  Schumann gave a critical
boost to Schubert and Field, and of course Mendelssohn.  Mendelssohn helped
arrange concerts for Berlioz, even though he detested Berlioz' music.
Berlioz for his part conducted a performance with Chopin of one of his
piano concerti.  The situation in 1835 was considerably more collegial
than it would be in 1865.

Stirling Newberry