From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 07:56:45 -0600
Rick Mabry wrote:

>Not to knock rap, as I think there exist interesting examples of such.
>But it's hard to discern the finer points when hearing it at 3 am as a
>rap-mobile thunders past the house.  (What must it sound like inside
>that vehicle?  Or do the speakers only point outward?)

I would guess that loud amplitude would only force them into listening
at louder amplitudes.  Listening at levels in excess of 100db will lead
to hearing loss...a point I used to demonstrate when I was teaching
electronic/computer music.  Many of my students had been in rock bands
for several years by the time they reached my class.  I would make this
point in class...without fail, there would be one student who questioned
the validity of my point...usually someone who had indeed played in a
rock band.  That left me with a test subject.  The worst I recall was a
college junior who could not hear past 10,000 cps.

And getting back to rap...for ten points, what composer wrote a piece
for rapper and orchestra?

Karl...still hearing 13,000 cps. but only on good days.