From:
Dave Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 1999 10:14:00 EDT
Roger Hecht wrote:

>I don't know the Kubelik performance you're talking about, but your
>comments don't surprise me. Kubelik also made two commercial recordings
>of this work. The Boston Symphony one on DG is quite good, but, though
>praised, I have found the London recording with the Vienna Philharmonic
>very hard to listen to because of hard sound. I know it only on LP, so
>perhaps the CD is better, but I doubt this would be the case.

I don't think the Vienna performance has been issued on CD, perhaps for the
very reasons you indicate.  However there is a *third* commercial recording
which is magnificent, made with Chicago in 1953 or so for one of the very
first Mercury Living Presence releases.  It is currently MLP 434379 on CD,
and despite it's being in mono it is surprisingly well recorded and the
most powerful "Ma Vlast" I know.

Uncle Dave Lewis