From:
Anne Ozorio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2006 12:02:07 -0000
Karl Miller wrote:

>> Fact:
>> First and foremost, we are very proud of the work Christoph
>> Eschenbach has done with The Philadelphia Orchestra and his
>> tenure has been and will be celebrated as part of the legacy of
>> The Philadelphia Orchestra. His decision to conclude his tenure
>> as Music Director at the end of our 2007-2008 season is a personal
>> one.  Although we offered him an opportunity to continue as our
>> Music Director, he feels he has achieved his goals with us here
>> in Philadelphia and has many other opportunities to consider.
>
>Ok, the cynic in me asks...did he offer to say so to the press,
>or is he being asked to have that posture as part of the deal...
etc etc

It's easy to be cynical, but from my own experience, things are never
neatly black and white.  The Philadephia Board may be diplomatic but
it doesn't follow that the opposite it true.

First, analyse Norman Lebrecht's sources, who are almost certainly not
musicians or they would realise how dumb it is to suggest that players
don't look at a conductor but play well, and that working at the Curtis
is some kind of big deal.  Someone's feeding Norman something, but who,
and why?

Then there is the conservatism of audiences, as someone mentioned.
Once they're used to a certain style, it's hard to adjust to something
diffrerent.  Yet, by nature, good artists need to find their own thing.
Result: perennial discontent.  New York didn't like Mahler, a hundred
years ago.  At least Eschenbach brought in funding which the citizens
will now need to match.

So, I don't think there's much point reading too much into this.  It's
a loss on both sides, but at least a conductor has a choice of other
interesting ventures.

Anne