From:
"David Orea C." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 00:06:39 -0400
Renato wrote:

>I am very fan of Gershwin, but just since my 18 (10 years ago), and I
>didn't know that!  Isn't there any recording of the "original" score of
>it?  Why, is it so difficult? More than Prokofiev 3third?

Recordings of this masterwork are several, in at least 4 different
versions:

 1.- The Original Concerto orchestrated by Gershwin.

 2.- The Concerto arranged by Grofe.

 3.- The Concerto in a version for two Pianos.

 4.- The Castagnetta transcription. (The whole Concerto for Piano solo).

One of the CDs with Grofe's arrangement is the Pro Arte (CDG-3244) with
Russell Sherman, Piano ; Orchestra of St.  Luke's (Gunther Schuller,
Conductor).

In the Philips LP, Katia & Marielle Labeque are the performers of the
version for two pianos.

PS.- About how difficult could it be...I prefer reading other points of
view.:-)

Dave.