From:
Jeff Dunn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 2008 18:28:03 -0700
Steve Schwartz wrote:

>Like the Twenties raccoon coat, however, the crazes for melodrama and
>for Tennyson faded (does anyone, other than an English major, still read
>Idylls of the King?) soon thereafter, and Strauss's piece turned into
>something hidden in the attic of music history.

There was a mini-revival of melodramas in the 1990s.  I fondly
recall Rosetti's "Goblin Market," masterfully set by Aaron Jay Kernis,
and performed by the St.  Paul Chamber Orchestra.  I recorded it from a
radio broadcast, but as far as I know, it never made it to CD.  Perhaps,
like the Strauss, it will be rediscovered 100 years from now.

Jeff Dunn