From:
Jon Gallant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Sep 2000 11:04:30 -0700
A couple of small additions to the very welcome information about
Danish moderns others have posted.  Dacapo has released a series of CDs
by the younger generation of Danish composers, including Poul Ruders,
Bent Sorensen, Hans Abrahamsen, and Anders Nordentoft.  Ruders is the most
approachable and also the most versatile of the group; the others write in
a sort-of non-tonal impressionist vein, of which Sorensen is certainly the
spookiest.

Amongst the previous generation, Per N0rgard is of course pretty well
represented on CD.  His contemporary Ib Norholm used to be represented
by a Kontrapunkt series of his symphonies, but these are now unavailable,
at least in the USA.  (Question for those more knowledgeable than I:  can
Kontrapunkt CDs be purchased from Denmark via Internet?) Norholm's violin
concerto was released on a Bis CD, along with the beautiful cello concerto
by Herman Koppel, the *eminence grise* of Danish music whom Thanh-Tam Le
has mentioned.  Koppel is a contemporary in time and manner of Holmboe,
and I believe he is still alive.  Maybe herring and Tuborg beer make for
longevity; one certainly hopes so.

Cheers///

Jon Gallant   ([log in to unmask])