From:
Norman Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jul 1999 09:17:39 EDT
Jon Johanning writes:

>OTOH, this does not mean that all of his greatest works were spectacularly
>complex and incomprehensible.  The Violin Concerto is a perfect example:
>on the surface, so simple that people who expect a concerto to be full of
>virtuosity and display are bitterly disappointed, but in reality so
>profound that it challenges the best performers.  Generations of audiences
>have found listening to it a soul-enriching experience, and I am sure that
>many generations more will follow suit.

It hasn't been brought up (yet), but how about LvB's own Piano
transcription, Op. 61a? No one seems to have kind words about this work to
begin with.  Listeners who dislike both the Violin and Piano Concerti must
have even bigger problems with Op. 61a.  Needless to say, I enjoy this one
as well.

Norman M.chwartz