From:
Luis M Afonso <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 10:03:54 +0000
Alexis Edorh wrote:

>Dear list members, I'm looking for Mozart's 40 and 41 recordings.  Which
>ones could you recommend me?

I love Harnoncourt's approach to Mozart's 40th symphony.  Though I always
find 'something wrong' in his performance practice, it really works for me.
That "sturm und drang" feeling results very exciting.  It's on Teldec with
the Concertgebouw Orchestra.

For the 41 I have to nominate George Szell on Sony Essential Classics.
The symphony last movement shows awesome playing by the Cleveland
Orchestra.  It's the fastest reading I've ever heard, but after that,
no other conductor make sense to me (in this particular symphony).

>What is your opinion about Neville Marriner's 40 and 41 with EMI RED
>LINE?

I only have Marriner's 40th on Philips, with the ASMIF.  Though I
usually like Marriner's way of conducting Mozart, I tend to dislike his
performances of the symphonies.  He seems a bit 'straight' to me and in my
opinion, he doesn't capture the singularity of each symphony, making all
them close to each other.  In simple words, he doesn't excite me that much
(although I love his concertos with Brendel).

Luis
The Portuguese Classical Music Site:
http://www.terravista.pt/Meco/2672/